Can a San Francisco movie location site in all good conscience omit Bullitt? Certainly not this one.
Bullitt was released October 17, 1968, shot almost entirely on location in San Francisco. The stars of the movie were Steve McQueen, Jacqueline Bisset, a Mustang 390 GT (actually two) and a Dodge Charger 440 Magnum. The famous car chase, filmed without special effects over a two week period in April 1968, is the centerpiece of the movie.
Police detective Lieutenant Frank Bullitt (McQueen) is assigned on behalf of city prosecutor Walter Chalmers (a humorless Robert Vaughn) to protect an important police witness in an investigation of the mob. The witness flies in from Chicago and is taken to a safe house. When mob hitmen blow the witness away, Bullitt comes under attack himself in a thrilling car chase that traverses the length and breadth of the city, and beyond.
(Watch the trailer)
The Locations -
- Escape From The Mob Basement level of the 450 Sutter Medical Building garage --- Garage exit in Chelsea Place off Bush Street between Stockton and Powell.
- Hotel Mark Hopkins Hotel, Nob Hill
- Phone Kiosks next to Hotel Stratford, 242 Powell Street, Union Square
- Chalmer's Residence 2700 Vallejo Street at Divisadero, Pacific Heights.
- Daniels Hotel 226 Embarcadero, near Howard
- Cathy's Office 1620 Montgomery Street, Telegraph Hill
- Coffee Cantata 2026 Union Street near Webster, Cow Hollow
- Hospital San Francisco General, 1001 Potrero Avenue
- Bullitt's Apartment 1153 Taylor Street at Clay, Nob Hill
- Church Grace Cathedral, Taylor and California, Nob Hill
- Enrico's Restaurant 504 Broadway at Kearny
- Car Wash Bayshore Blvd at Marin Street near the Highway 101 Cesar Chavez exit
- Car Chase - Highlights Potrero Hill --- North Beach --- Russian Hill --- San Bruno Mountain State Park --- Brisbane
- Car Chase - Complete Bernal Heights --- Potrero Hill --- North Beach --- Russian Hill --- Marina --- McLaren Park --- San Bruno Mountain State Park --- Brisbane
- Murder At The Thunderbolt Hotel Clarion Hotel, 401 E. Millbrae Avenue, Millbrae
- Hall Of Justice Ambulance Entrance at the Hall Of Justice, Harriet Street at Ahern Way
- Showdown At The Airport San Francisco International Airport