Days of Wine and Roses (1962)
Director Blake Edwards had to work hard to find backing for a movie about alcoholism. Theresult was a critically acclaimed unflinching look at the devastatingimpact the disease had on the lives of a young couple. Powerfulperformances brought Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick leading role oscar nominations in a story as much about love as despair. The lone oscar captured by the film went to Henry Mancini for his eponymous title song.
Joe Clay (Lemmon) is a public relations man who has had one too many three martini lunches. He becomes taken with Kristen Arnesen (Remick), a teetotaller who succumbs to his encouragement and embraces the pleasures of social drinking. They marry and have ababy daughter but their increasing dependence on alcohol sends theirlives into a wrenching spiral ...
(Watch the trailer here)
The Locations -
- A Rocky Start St. Francis Yacht Club parking lot, the Marina --- Turning Basin, the harbor, Newport Beach
- Kirsten's Office The PG&E Building at 245 Market Street, Financial District
- Kirsten's First Sip Place Pigalle Restaurant, 3721 Buchanan Street, the Marina
- Kirsten's Place (virtual location) 298 Union Street at Montgomery, Telegraph Hill
- Joe and Kirsten's Apartment 1800 Pacific Avenue at Franklin, Pacific Heights
- Oil Field Signal Hill, Long Beach, California
- Reflections 177 Maiden Lane, Union Square
- Meltdown Probably Warner Bros back lot, Burbank
- Relapse Probably Warner Bros back lot, Burbank
- Epilogue Chaspeak Apartments, 512 W. 2nd Street, Bunker Hill, Los Angeles