Portrait In Black (1960)
Director Michael Gordon recovered from his persona non grata status after Hollywood blacklisted him during the anti-communist hysteria of the 1950s to make the frothy romance-comedy Pillow Talk in 1959 followed by this movie, Portrait In Black, a very different, neo-noir film of murder, suspense and intrigue. Glossy sets, a fashionista leading lady and San Francisco itself, rendered in glorious color, complement the entertainment. Based on a stage play, the long-planned move to celluloid was finally realized with the movie's release on July 27, 1960.
Sheila (Lana Turner), married to invalid shipping magnate Matthew Cabot (San Francisco's own Lloyd Nolan), is having an affair with Cabot's doctor David Rivera (Anthony Quinn). Their scheme to kill Cabot is successful and all seems well until they are rattled by a note congratulating them on the murder. They suspect Cabot's business associate Howard Mason (Richard Basehart) and in desperation conclude he too has to go. When, following Mason's demise, another similar note arrives, their suspicions turn to the family chauffeur Cobb (Ray Walston). As they descend into meltdown mode Sheila's stepdaughter (Sandra Dee) realizes their involvement, setting up a climactic final scene.
- Cabot Shipping Line Pier 22, The Embarcadero, Rincon Hill --- Crocker Building, One Post Street, Financial District
- The Cabot Residence 2898 Broadway at Baker Street , Pacific Heights --- (window view) Marin Headlands, Marin County --- (window view) Point Bonita, Marin County
- I. Magnin's on Union Square I. Magnin and Co, Geary Street at Stockton, Union Square
- Rivera's Apartment, 2560 Divisadero at Broadway, Pacific Heights
- Cabot Gets the Needle, Blake Gets the Shaft On the bay, east of Telegraph Hill --- (window view) 480 (Embarcadero) freeway
- Somebody Out There Knows Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park
- Making Amends Chinese Pagoda Restaurant, 830 Grant Avenue, Chinatown
- Rivera's Office California Street between Jones and Powell, Nob Hill --- (virtual location) Union Street near Montgomery, Telegraph Hill
- Fisherman's Wharf Pier alongside Pier 45, Fisherman's Wharf
- Mason's Demise Baker at Broadway, Pacific Heights
- Drama at Devil's Slide 2898 Broadway at Baker Street --- Hyde Street at Lombard Street --- Highway 1 at Devil's Slide
- Haunted By Hippocrates Union Square --- Maiden Lane between Grant and Stockton
- Retribution 2898 Broadway at Baker Street