The Lady From Shanghai (1947)
The Lady From Shanghai, was filmed in 1946 and early 1947. The movie, adapted from the novel 'If I Die Before I Wake' by Sherwood King, was an early contributor to the evolving film noir style, incorporating as it did murder, intrigue, double-cross and of course a scheming femme fatale. The storyline moves from New York City to Acapulco then on to Sausalito and San Francisco with spectacular location scenes adding reality to the plot. the famous final scene, brilliantly shot in a room full of distorting and replicating mirrors, is film noir denouement at its very best.
Mike O'Hara (Orson Welles), a sailor and a dreamer, meets and falls for the beautiful Elsa Bannister (Rita Hayworth) in New York's Central Park. She tells him she and her lawyer husband Arthur Bannister (Everett Sloane) are about to sail their yacht to San Francisco by way of the Panama Canal. They need a skipper and she offers O'Hara the job. He takes it on but as thejourney progresses he finds himself being pulled into a bizarre murder scheme ...
(Watch the trailer)
- Opening Scene View of Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge--- View of Central Park West from the Sheep Meadow in Central Park, Manhattan
- A Fateful Meeting Central Park, Manhattan, re-created at the Columbia Ranch backlot, Burbank
- "Would You Like To Work For Me?" Ellery Apt Hotel, 1028 S. Hope, Los Angeles --- Garage next to Earle C. Anthony Packard dealership at 1000 S. Hope, Los Angeles --- Yacht Harbor, W. 22nd Street, San Pedro
- Errol Flynn and the yacht Circe Errol Flynn's yacht Zaca
- Acapulco - Beaches The Beach at Puerto Marques--- Revolcadero Beach and Tropical Lagoon--- Caleta Beach and Caletilla Beach on the Caleta Peninsula, Acapulco
- Acapulco - Hotel Los Flamingos Hotel Los Flamingos, Acapulco
- Acapulco - Hotel Casablanca Hotel Casablanca, 195 Ave Pinzona, Acapulco
- Whaler's Cove, Sausalito Old Pier --- Nunes Bros. Boatyard, Sausalito, California
- Walhalla Bar 201 Bridgeway, Sausalito
- Aquarium Steinhart Aquarium, California Academy of Sciences, Golden Gate Park
- Two Murders Walhalla Bar, 201 Bridgeway, Sausalito--- Golden Gate Bridge--- West Harbor, the Marina, San Francisco--- Columbia Ranch Studio Lot, Burbank
- Jailhouse Lament Golden Gate Bridge and Fort Point--- City view west from 1360 Jones rooftop--- Sacramento east from Mason--- Brocklebank Apartments, 1000 Mason, Nob Hill--- Mason Street viewed north from Sacramento
- O'Hara's Trial Hall Of Justice, 750 Kearny Street at Washington
- On The Lam - Portsmouth Square Portsmouth Square, Chinatown
- On The Lam - Chop Suey and Shanghai Low Grant Avenue at Pine Street--- 532 Grant Avenue, Chinatown
- On The Lam - Grant Avenue from California to Clay 600 block of Grant from Sacramento--- 801 Grant--- 800 block of Grant from Clay, Chinatown
- Chinese Telephone Exchange 743 Washington Street, Chinatown
- On The Lam - Mandarin Theatre 1 1021 Grant Avenue, Chinatown
- On The Lam - Li Po and Mandarin Theatre 2 916 Grant Avenue --- 1021 Grant Avenue, Chinatown --- Columbia Ranch backlot, Burbank
- "You're The Killer, Yes!" (Li's window view) - view from the Fairmont Hotel, Nob Hill--- Columbia Ranch, Burbank--- Sun Mun Way, Old Chinatown at 951 N. Broadway, Los Angeles
- Crazy House Fun House, Playland At The Beach, Great Highway, Outer Richmond
- Magic Mirror Maze Fun House, Playland At The Beach, Great Highway, Outer Richmond
Click here for a photo map of the Acapulco locations in this movie.
Click here for a photo map of the San Francisco locations in this movie.