Sudden Fear (1952)
Joan Crawford was nominated for an Oscar for her emotional performance in this movie, directed by David Miller, based on a novel by Edna Sherry. It premiered in New York City on August 7, 1952 and subsequently was released in ten other countries over the next twelve months to capitalize on Crawford's global stardom at that time. Jack Palance, not exactly your usual leading man type, delivers a competent support role while Gloria Grahame adds sexy and sultry to the mix. The steep streets of San Francisco appear throughout and keep the audience slightly off-balance.
Wealthy playwright Myra Hudson (Crawford) decides the leading man Lester Blaine (Palance) cast in her new Broadway play is unsuitable in a romantic role and summarily fires him. After the show's successful opening she heads home to San Francisco, bumping into the much younger Lester who, surprise, just happens to be on her train. He spends the long trip charming her and she is in love by the time they arrive. They marry but their apparently idyllic union is doomed when his ex-lover Irene Neves (Grahame) turns up. Myra is stunned when she finds out they intend to murder her for her money but uses her scriptwriting skills to devise a retributive counter-attack. Real life doesn't follow a script however and events unfold in a very different way.
- Not Good Enough Panorama from 220 E. 42d Street, New York--- Bijou Theater, 209 W. 45th Street, New York
- Train Ride West Grand Central Terminal, Manhattan--- Oakland Pier, 7th Street, Oakland
- Homecoming View from the Top O' The Mark, Mark Hopkins Hotel, Nob Hill--- 2800 Scott Street at Green, Cow Hollow
- Day Trippers Cathedral Grove, Muir Woods, Marin County--- Twin Peaks Vista--- Golden Gate Bridge
- Lester's Place 1079 Lombard Street, Russian Hill
- Myra's Summer House 250 Beach Road, Belvedere
- An Old Flame Shows Up Palace of the Legion Of Honor, Lincoln Park
- The Good Life War Memorial Opera House, 301 Van Ness Avenue--- Los Alamitos Race Course, 4961 Katella Avenue, Los Alamitos--- The Cirque Room, Fairmont hotel, Nob Hill
- Irene's Apartment The Tamalpais, 1201 Greenwich Street, Russian Hill
- Run, Myra, Run! The Tamalpais, 1201 Greenwich Street, Russian Hill --- CinnabarStreet and W. 3rd Street, Bunker Hill, Los Angeles
- Sudden Death Boswell Apartments, 245 S. Flower Street. Bunker Hill, Los Angeles --- Claridge Hotel, 428 W. 2nd Street, Bunker Hill, Los Angeles--- Dome Hotel Apartments, W. 2nd and Grand Avenue, Bunker Hill, Los Angeles --- Mission Apartments, 504 W. 2nd Street, Bunker Hill at Olive, Los Angeles